Even if you have taken great care of your teeth throughout your life, you still may need to get dentures at some point. Sometimes the signs that you need them are not as obvious as you would think. In addition to following your dentist’s recommendations about when the time is right to get them, here are some other signs to note:
Signs That You May Need Dentures
Do you have the following symptoms?
- Persistent swelling of the gums, including tenderness, redness, or bleeding.
- Intense toothaches.
- Teeth that are loose or shift.
- Missing teeth.
- Issues when eating chewy or hard foods.
These symptoms can indicate tooth decay and bone loss to the point whether the teeth cannot be saved. If so, you should contact your dentist about dentures.
Your Denture Options
If the time is now to get dentures, you have different options depending on your needs. These can include:
- Partial dentures: These are removable dentures that replace missing teeth, while being surrounded by your healthy teeth.
- Immediate dentures: With conventional dentures, your dentist pulls out your teeth and creates a mold. You are without teeth for a little while until the dentures are ready and your jaw heals. Immediate dentures skip being toothless, and a removable denture is made that you can wear while your jaw heals.
- Dental implants: These are great options if you are missing only a few teeth and you don’t need to have all of your teeth extracted.
- Overdentures: These fit over your existing teeth after the overdentures are prepared by your dentist.
Dentures: Bring Back Your Smile!
In addition to improving your oral health and decreasing tooth and gum pain, dentures can also make eating easier, help you regain clearer speech, and restore your facial appearance. If you are experiencing any symptoms, schedule an appointment with your dentist. They can recommend the best course of action and make the transition as simple as possible.